Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Horn Alignment

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member Charles Chance's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    120
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I've seen several discussions in the past concerning front-to-rear alignment of 511 horns/drivers, but I don't remember seeing any discussion of alignment of large format horns/drivers on A7 cabinet. It looks as though if I align voice coils, the large horns and sleds will be ready to topple off the top. Should I reverse polarity? Anybody have experience with this? I have no access to analysis equipment so I only hope to get close. Are there any rules-of-thumb, wives tales, or folklore that would help.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member Cal Weldon's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2004
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    648
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Charles,

    Is there a way you could mount the large horn to a platform of some kind and mount that to the cabinet, with it hanging over a bit? You would get your alignment but would that look OK to you? Why not mount it to a temporary platform and move it back and forth to see how much difference you notice and make your own judgement. If you look at my big system under the heading in this forum "Trying again for the link" you'll notice the coils from the upper woofers are not in line with the big woofers, but I'm not too worried about it because they are higher in the air and therefore further from my ear than the larger woofers so...does that mean that in fact they are in alignment or at least close to it?

    As you said there is much discussion with ths topic.

    Cheers
    Cal

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member djnagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 18th, 2003
    Posts
    222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Cal, I will be using a Rane active crossover in my biamped system. Can I aliegn the drivers electronically with the Rane?

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Cal Weldon's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2004
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    648
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Igor,
    Does your unit have a time delay circuit?
    Cal

  5. #5
    Inactive Member thevott's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 11th, 2003
    Posts
    91
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    How long is a wavelength at 500 Hz?

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member djnagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 18th, 2003
    Posts
    222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Here is the link to the same rane I have. I assume the time delay in the picture is what you are asking about.ebay sale

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Altec19's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 21st, 2003
    Posts
    306
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Greetings All,

    Here is an excellent site and article regarding phasing:

    http://www.soundpractices.com/images/phase.pdf

    Later . . .

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member joyspring's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7th, 2002
    Posts
    275
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi all,

    The Rane AC22 has an all-pass filter in the low pass section to provide up to 2mS of delay.

    BTW, the Rane AC22/23 are EXCELLENT units forums

    Calculating wavelength (a little high school physics):

    Assuming speed of sound is 343.8 metres/sec (at sea level)...

    wavelength = velocity (speed of sound)/frequency

    = ( (metres/sec) / (cycles/sec) )

    = (343.8 M/S) / 500hz

    = 0.687 M (or 27 inches)

    The Rane AC22's delay can easily compensate for the length of a 511.

    BobR

    BobR

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member Cal Weldon's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2004
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    648
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm sorry but I can't see a time delay circuit on those buttons and I may be getting a bit over my head here. My experience with active crossovers is very limited.
    In order the falsify the coil alignment don't you have to delay the sound to one of the drivers? In this case it would be the woofer as the tweeter is hanging out the back of it. The speed of sound at around 330 m/s means that at a difference of 5 cm the time delay should be 0.0001515/sec.
    Am I in the right neighbourhood here?
    Cal

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member joyspring's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7th, 2002
    Posts
    275
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

    Post

    Charles,

    If you're using a stock Altec crossover, aligning voice coils is a pretty good starting point. Move the HF section back-and-forth until you get so near a flat response at crossover as possible.

    Nearly all Altec passive crossovers (N-500, N-800, etc.) are plain 2-pole Butterworth affairs and have two attributes that you ought to consider: (1) LF and HF outputs are 180 deg. out-of-phase, and (2) they will never sum flat (to a flat frequency response, that is). As I mentioned in a previous post, stock Altec passive crossovers were very primitive and pretty awful...

    Igor has perhaps the best solution: bi-amplification using an active crossover with an LF delay. What's more, you may use a crossover with Linkwitz-Riley filters that have excellent phase and transient behaviour and that DO SUM FLAT. Try that with a single-pole or Bessel filter...

    BobR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.